BEWARE OF FRAUDS
Unfortunately there are those who try to take advantage of a tough housing situation by defrauding housing applicants. It can be difficult to recognize a fraud, especially if it is the first time you are looking for housing on your own.
We are constantly working to prevent scammers from using BoPoolen.nu but it is always important to stay alert. We examine all ads for housing available as good as we can, but it is not possible for us to prevent anyone from contacting you through an ad for housing needed.
Get to know the warning signs and read the lists below. There you can find names and email addresses etc. currently used in scams. If you get in contact with anyone suspicious – don’t hesitate to contact us so that we can help you and warn others!
General advice on avoiding frauds
Scammers often claim to be abroad (e.g. UK, Ireland, Nigeria, Egypt, Turkey) and request deposits or rent in advance. The payments are to be made through e.g. Western Union or to a foreign bank account. Anyone who actually rents an apartment in Sweden is almost unexceptionally on site and able to show the apartment and always has a Swedish bank account.
Always be very careful with sending personal information or ID to anyone. Your personal information can be used to deceive others.
1. The landlord is abroad and not able to show the apartment.
2. Demands for large sums of deposit or advance payments.
3. Payment through Western Union or to a foreign bank account.
4. The landlord is pushing you to complete the deal quickly.
5. The landlord doesn’t want to give you their real name and social security number.
1. Ask for the landlords full name, address and social security number. Name and phone number can easily be changed.
2. Look up the address of the apartment online to make sure it is real, for example on www.eniro.se
3. Google the name and email address the landlord is using. If you are dealing with a fraudster you might find warnings online. Also look through our lists.
4. Never send personal information or ID to anyone suspicious. Your personal information can be used in other scams.
5. Never send any money before you have signed a tenancy agreement and are sure that you have access to the apartment. If you have to send money in advance, consider using PayPal or another safe alternative for money transfer.
6. It is always okay to ask to see the apartment before signing the contract
Even if you are sure both the landlord and the apartment are real we advise you to be careful and to make sure everything is done fairly. The vast majority of landlords are nice and reputable but there are exceptions. Always sign a proper tenancy agreement and make sure you save bank statements or request receipts for your payments. Please contact BoPoolen.nu if you are experiencing problems with your landlord. Read more about your rights and obligations as a tenant under Laws & regulations.
If you encounter a fraudster or if you have doubts about a landlord you are in contact with, send an email and we will help you. It is important for us to know about fraudsters or dishonest landlords using our website. Your information will make it possible for us to stop them and to warn other housing applicants.
Please note that this list is not complete! The names and contact information used can easily be changed.
In case of any doubt – contact us!